Sunday, May 6, 2012

Quinoa and Crabmeat Salad

I know I haven't talked about food or done a food post in aaages but today I concocted something random I wanted to share. I've been trying to eat healthier as of late (not having much success with not drinking alcohol anymore, though, lol) so I stopped by Trader Joe's a few nights ago to pick up some goodies.

What I used:
1/4 cup tricolor quinoa 1 cube of chicken bullion (can use veggie broth instead to make it vegan/veg)
I microwaved the quinoa with the bullion cube and about 1/2 cup water mixed together for 4 mins on high + 2 mins additional time and then I let sit for 1 minute.
Crabmeat
Lemon Juice (about a teaspoon and a half or so)

Coconut oil (about 1/2 tablespoon, for flavor and health)

Fresh chopped chives

Assorted spices (peppercorn grinder, seafood seasoning grinder, salt)


I was actually planning to serve this (to myself, lol) in half of an avocado but my avocado wasn't ripe when I cut it so I had to pitch it. ;____;
So to give it more kick I added some thin sliced almonds on top, and some strawberries as a side dish. I had orange juice to drink. Mmmm!
Nutrition wise there's about 160 calories in 1/4 cup of quinoa but it also has 6g of protein! It's super good for you. Quinoa is a seed oddly enough, a pseudo cereal, and because of it's high nutritional value, NASA is considering it for long-duration mission foods.





I love fish, fruit, and nuts together. It's such a good combo. I like to imagine myself in the forest eating this where it's peaceful and quiet, and not the annoying loud noises of the city just out my window.

Not my photo but I adore it! From tumblr. <3

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to eat in a healthier way too, but my friends always want to go eat out in totally unhelty places -.-
    I like the photo of the girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that certainly sounds yummy and thats hard to do when it comes to healthy food:)

    ReplyDelete